Monday, December 22, 2014

BEHIND THE SCENES


I remember a few months ago I was blessed enough to play the role of Effie White in the spectacular production of Dreamgirls. I was so excited about the opportunity and nervous all at the same time. I would think, "What if they don't like my voice? I'm no J-Hud, why would they pick me? I'm a little too big for this role, will they like me? Can I learn all the songs? Will I be able to learn the routines?" I doubted myself but most of all I had FEAR.

FEAR is defined as the following; to be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening. I was fearful of the preparation for the production. I remember being at my first vocal practice with the music director for the show, (my hands were so watery from all the sweat) I was holding the sheet music in my hands thinking, "Lord, he won't like my voice. Why am I even here?" I was singing one of the most difficult songs of the production and it was a solo, I was in the middle of the song and he stopped playing. "Oh Lord, he HATES IT!!!" I said to myself. "Your voice is unique, it knows what to do, stop being FEARFUL and show me what you got."

Yeah, he said it. And I'll never forget it. Safe to say, I sang the song. And his transparent words helped me through every  practice. The more I practiced the songs and rehearsed my lines, I became more comfortable. Before I knew it, it was opening night. This was the moment all of my hard work, the late nights, voice lessons, and strenuous rehearsal practices would pay off. 

Two hours before the opening act was BANANAS!!! My dress for the opening scene had ripped, my shoes were missing and I was losing my voice. In other words, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!! And the only thing I did was went in the back restroom and sobbed like a newborn baby that was just smacked on the "hind parts." Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. I let my FEAR get the best of me. Eventually, I got it together though. I fixed up some tea, did a quick-fix on my dress, and listened to my music for the production. Before I knew it, it was time for me to go on stage for my scene. Everything ran smoothly; the music, dress changes and the songs. 

Once the show was over, we met with the audience and I was surprised by how many people came up to me and informed me of how much they loved the show. I smiled, gave hugs, I even gave a few autographs (flips hair). Little girls came up to me and told me they wanted to grow up and sing just like me, older women told me I brought tears to their eyes and I just stood in awe. I remember a man asking me, "How do you sing all of those songs with all that power?" I simply replied, "You have no idea what takes place BEHIND THE SCENES."

That's how life is, right? We encounter situations that will bring out our worst case of FEAR. We go through situations we think we can't handle, all the while God has given us the POWER to conquer every problem that we encounter. FEAR will keep you in the back restroom, sobbing like a newborn, but GOD, GOD will restore all things and have people looking in disbelief. 

Preparation takes time. You cant have a full course meal with the snap of your fingers. You cant have a new hairstyle without waiting to get it done. You cant have a baby without waiting nine months. Everything in life takes time. Let God do the preparing, because AFTER THE SHOW, people will be in DISBELIEF.




Authentically Yours,


Ariel Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment