Friday, December 19, 2014

STAY IN YOUR LANE

A few months ago I remember traveling to Houston, Texas to celebrate my best friend's birthday. Earlier that day my mom had begged me not to go because I had a few speeding tickets that I hadn't paid yet, and she was fearful I would get stopped. But me, being the rebellious daughter that I am, I didn't care. (Don't act like you haven't rebelled against your parents, I'm just honest about mine.) So, I packed down my little red hooptie (which had an oil leak) and hit I-10 with a vengeance.

I had to be there for my best friend because she was there for me during the toughest time of my life. She would come home at least twice a week to make sure I was okay, so I was going to be there for her to celebrate her birthday. Safe to say, I made it to Houston. But as soon as I got in, I was caught in traffic. I ABSOLUTELY HATE TRAFFIC!!!!!

Lord, I almost lost my mind. Cars coming in and out of each and every lane. And me, I was rubbing my hands through my weave, screaming unholy words at the drivers. But I couldn't go anywhere I was stuck in traffic. I couldn't change lanes, I couldn't move out of one lane and go to the next. I saw in other lanes how everyone was moving forward driving full speed, but they were headed in a different direction. In order for me to get to where I was going, I had to stay in my lane, put on some of my ratchet music, and wait until it was time for me to drive. Of course, being in TRAFFIC put me behind schedule, but I had WAIT.

Some of you are experiencing a few traffic problems in your life. You want to move forward but your pace is not like everyone else. Everyone is moving forward with their lives but you're watching from another lane. Staying in your lane can be very discouraging, it can be painful, you're wanting to move forward like everyone else, but hear the voice of The Lord when he says, "Be STILL and know that I AM GOD." He sees you and knows the desires of your heart. He's listening to your prayers and he sees the work you are doing for his kingdom.

It's safe to say that I did make it out of traffic, but as I was driving I noticed there had been a horrible car wreck on the highway. Immediately I began to thank God for his grace and for making me BE STILL when I wanted to move FORWARD.

Staying in your lane isn't always a bad thing, especially when God is the mix. Sometimes when we move at our OWN pace in our OWN lane we may cause COLLISION. We may even damage the very thing God was trying to prevent in the first place. You can prevent heartbreak by not RUSHING into bed with your potential "bae." You can prevent that financial burden by not splurging on yourself this week and "saving your coins." You can prevent that argument with your parents or friends if you just open up your ears and shut your mouth.

Don't get caught up in the wait that you start to carry the weight of your problems. Be at "peace" in your traffic. Because you never know what kind of danger God is trying to prevent.

Authentically Yours,

Ariel Marie


1 comment: